Wednesday, August 19, 2009

-- the world is a blank canvas --

Ava is a little artist. From the day she was introduced to the crayon, she's become infatuated. She loves to draw pictures and use water colors. Anything and everything that has to do with color on paper lures her interest. My mom bought Ava the Alex Super Art Table a few months ago. This table has a chalkboard top and little cup holders for crayons/chalk/you name it. Ava caught on really fast that she is to only color at the table. Needless to say, her curiosity tempted her to test her artistic abilities elsewhere. Unfortunately for Ava, I had to take the crayons & chalk away. She was only able to use them with my supervision. A friend came over to show me pictures one day. I took them to the light to see them more clearly when out of the corner of my eye I noticed Ava. This caught my attention as I had left her at her art table with one piece of chalk. I'm sure you can guess what happens next.... Oh yes, darling Ava decided to use our couch cushions as her canvas. I had tried to be the "cool mom" earlier in the day and put the couch cushions on the floor for her to jump on since we weren't able to get out of the house the past few days. I wanted her to release her energy. She did. She also created a masterpiece. I was so upset (mostly with myself).



I took her back to her table and told her that's where she was to color. I immediately ran to get the stain remover in hopes that the blue chalk would come out. As I was spraying, Ava kept wanting to touch the wet fabric. Frustrated, I tried to redirect her. As I was picking her up to pull her away she points her little finger at the wet spot and says "oh-ul", "cir-ul". It's moments like that where your heart melts. I confirmed yes, oval & circle. Afterwards, still a little upset, I started blotting out the stain. She kept saying "peas! peas!" Misunderstanding, I told her that she couldn't touch because it was a chemical and I didn't want it to hurt her. So she runs and grabs her sisters burp cloth and comes back to help me blot.



How could I be mad at that? One of my largest goals as a mother is to teach my daughter and to instill in her good values. How could I be upset that she was exercising her knowledge of the shapes I have taught her and showing remorse by helping me to clean up the "mess?" Do not get me wrong, I'm not thrilled to have to pay someone to professionally clean the couch, but they needed to be cleaned anyway....


Needless to say, I am thankful for the experience :)




No comments:

Post a Comment